I definitely believe that the second internet class was much more successful in discussion than the first. Considering it allowed more time for thought and planned writing, but I think I enjoyed the first more.
It felt more like you were communicating.
There was more of a give and take in the information than there was on the boards. If someone made a comment on the chat the responses exploded, but individual posts on the boards may have been read but they were rarely replied to.
The board, although easier to use and grade, was not the better of the two classes in my opinion. I liked the flow of the first one, the rapid fire responses and the fun YouTube tie ins found throughout. Their was a better sense of joining in the chat. We were all there at the same time reading the same things.
Although comments were less thought out, and it was harder to comprehend the flow of conversation. The overall feel was, in my opinion, better.
Sure, some comments were negative and hurtful, but I feel the chat was a more honest expression than the board. It didn't give one time to deeply ponder their responses, censor themselves, or decide not to say things they want to. People talked freely and often, which was nice considering a class atmosphere lends itself to quiet and shyness and a board creates the option for everyone to make themselves completely politically correct. And to be honest, being PC doesn't lend itself to honesty and openness.
In short I don't think the sequel lived up to the original
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment